Friday, September 23, 2011

"SLAP" Surgery for Andrew (can they DO that?)

Andrew is an excellent baseball player. Ever since he could hold a bat he has been dreaming of a career in baseball, and is moving toward that goal at a steady pace. Last December he started to complain about his pitching shoulder. I didn't think much of it...the pain seemed to come and go. Dr. Mom prescribed Advil (anti-inflammatory) and rest. It went on that way for quite some time until finally Andrew said "I need to go to a doctor." I was shocked. I knew it had to be bad if he was WANTING to go to a doctor. Several doctor appointments, 1 MRI and 1 arthrogram later, we were at the Precision Surgery Center in Dallas awaiting "slap" surgery. We had to be there by 7:30 am. After a night of very little sleep and lots of nervous butterflies, we began the journey. This was going to be a pivotal day that would affect Andrew's career.

Already admitted, just waiting to be called back.
Gotta love the designer hospital garb.
Getting the IV
The anesthesiologist getting ready to give Andrew the "happy juice" Cute bonnets eh?
When they took Andrew into the operating room at 9:15, I was left to wait in the lobby. Regis and Kelly, Wendy Williams and Access Hollywood...still no word about the surgery. I found a great machine called a Keurig. It had several different single-serve containers of coffee and hot chocolate that you put in the dealio and it fills your cup. I had the hot cocoa and it was the BEST smelling stuff I have ever known. I should have just continued to sniff it instead of actually attempting to drink it. It didn't taste nearly as good as it smelled, and the 4 zillion degree heat burned my tongue to a crisp. It's ok little Keurig...I still love you.
so yum
Three hours after they started, he was wheeled into recovery and I was allowed back with him.
Dr. Vo gave me several pictures of the surgery. The one below shows the fraying that should not be there. It should be smooth. He also said Andrew's shoulder was much too tight..they could hardly get the probe in there.
The red stuff on the right side of the pic is the inflammation and irritation that has been building up. Should be white.
Several different views of the operation. They also shaved some of the bone back to give him more room.
3 days later, his should is still very swollen. Pretty huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment