Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Happy February


Someone forgot to send the memo that "in like a lion, out like a lamb" is for MARCH not February. Last night I was awakened by thunder and the angry sound of sleet and ice pelting my bedroom windows. Before dawn I received an automated phone message from Garland ISD that school was canceled, and then my amazing boss texted that I was to stay home from work. Check and double check as I pull the covers up tighter around my face. This was a shock to all of us in Texas who have been enjoying the sun and temps in the mid 70's for the past few days. Ha ha Mother Nature...funny joke. Keep your nasty weather in Utah where they are better equipped to handle it. (Or so I'm told by a very reliable source.) When the sun finally made an appearance this morning, I looked out to snow covering the ground and heard the wind howling. What was all the fuss? I'm a NY gal, I can handle this....except it wasn't snow it was sleet and ice. Nothing soft or gentle about, but it was quite comical watching the dogs slipping and sliding all over the back yard!!! Yes, I AM a NY girl, but having been in TX for nearly 15 years, I'm used to planting my tomatoes in February...not scraping ice sickles off the eaves. Today Texas is closed. No sane people have left their homes, and regular programming has been interrupted to allow for continual storm coverage. Most of you in Utah and NY will gauff at this. You get 25 feet of snow over night and there is still school....but not here. At the risk of being laughed off the planet, I have taken some pictures of our calamity. Try to look at it from our perspective and be gentle.

February...the month of hopes and dreams unless you are single...

These bushes are actually covered in a thick layer of ice. It crunched when I touched it.
Nope, not a bit of snow. Solid sleet. Very slippery. (I hear you all laughing!) Don't think you're fooling anyone.
Last but not least, the ice covered truck that won't start. Too cold.
Just thought I'd throw in a couple pics of Bo to show how big he's getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment